8. August 2011 | 10:22

Which doctor can I go to?

When you are concerned about your child’s health, your General Practitioner (GP) is always the first person to contact. He/she will do their best to help you or, if necessary will refer you to a paediatrician.

A visit to your child’s Doctor can be stressful for both you and your child. So to help keep the visit short and to the point, prepare yourself thoroughly in advance for any questions that may be asked and make sure to have all the necessary information ready. The visit planner and online diary tool will be a great help for this! You can also print the symptom checklist. It will make it easier for your GP to discuss your particular problems.

Here are some questions your GP may ask:

  • How old was your child when symptoms first started?
  • How quickly do symptoms develop?
  • How severe are the symptoms?
  • How long do they last?
  • How often do they happen?
  • Where do symptoms usually happen?
  • Do the same symptoms happen each time your child eats a particular food?
  • How much of the suspected food your child needs to eat for symptoms to appear?

Please bear in mind that cows' milk allergy (CMA) is not always easy to diagnose and that is why doctors can confuse CMA symptoms with those caused by other conditions. If you think that your GP seems to be unfamiliar with CMA symptoms, don’t hesitate to ask him/her for a referral to a Paediatrician or Paediatric Allergist .